When: Thursdays 12:00 noon to 1:30 PM
Description: This 4-session workshop focuses on integrating theory and practice in Sandplay. Each session will highlight different aspects of Sandplay process; observing the child’s approach to Sandplay, evaluation of initial sandtrays, understanding the mix of sensory and imaginative play, identification of themes through imagery, ‘unpacking symbolic narrative’, and amplifying specific symbols in order to appreciate personal, cultural, and archetypal levels of meaning. Structured around examination of child case material, sessions will give participants an opportunity to practice applying theory to what is observed, heard, and seen in Sandplay therapy.
For those who did not attend Introduction to the Theory & Practice of Sandplay (https://www.maudeleroux.com/Sandplay ), viewing the recordings is recommended to enhance participant understanding.
This webinar series is intended as a transitional step towards participation in a Sandplay Case Consultation Seminar planned for the fall semester of 2023 where students will have the opportunity to present their own case material for consultation.
Outline / Agenda:
March 9th, 2023
- Participants will be able to explain why a child’s reaction to entering the Sandplay therapy room is a diagnostic opportunity.
- Participants will be able to list at least 5 important attributes to consider in evaluating initial sandtrays.
March 16th, 2023
- Participants will be able to identify the child’s dominant style of play in Sandplay; sensory exploration, sensory experimentation, skill mastery, imaginative play, intentional metaphoric expression, etc.
- Participants will be able to understand the developmental age at which a child is working based on their dominant style of play in Sandplay.
April 6th, 2023.
- Participants will be able to explain what is meant by the term ‘archetypal amplification’ and why it is important in Sandplay therapy.
- Participants will be able to discuss the child’s personal associations, clinical significance, and archetypal amplification of at least three repeated symbols in the case material presented.
April 13th, 2023
- Participants will be able to describe at least three possible interpretations of the fantasy/narrative accompanying a child’s sandtray creation.
- Participants will be able to explain the psychotherapeutic progress evident in a series of five consecutive sandtray creations.
Assessment: Completion of Feedback Form
Certificate of attendance will be provided
Provider Name: Maude Le Roux Academy
Presenter: Betty Jackson, LSW, CST-T
Bio: Betty Jackson, LSW, CST-T is a licensed clinical social worker and certified sandplay therapist with over 40 years of experience in school, mental health agency, and private practice settings. She began her Sandplay training with Dora Kalff in 1975 and became a Teaching Member of Sandplay Therapists of America and the International Society for Sandplay Therapy in 1991. She has authored several articles for the Journal of Sandplay Therapy, serves on the Board of Directors for the International Society for Sandplay Therapy, and teaches Sandplay nationally and internationally. She has the honor of being a Guest Professor for the Oriental Academy for Analytical Psychology and Sandplay in Guangzhou, China. Ms. Jackson maintains a part-time private practice at her home office in southeastern Pennsylvania where she has established The Center for Jungian Sandplay in order to offer Sandplay process, consultation, and training in the tradition of Dora Kalff.
Special Needs Accommodation: We invite anyone who may need a specific accommodation to contact [email protected] and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Cancellation policy: Payment is due in full with registration through Paypal on this website and there is a non-refundable fee of $35 at any time. If the course participant cancels within 30 days prior to the course starting date, the reimbursement would be 75% and within 2 weeks of the course; reimbursement would be calculated at 50%. Please contact [email protected] If the course should be cancelled by the Maude Le Roux Academy, each course participant will be contacted via e-mail notification to announce rescheduled dates or when reimbursement would be issued if not able to reschedule.
Course Type: Track Workshop
Target Audience: Occupational Therapists, Social Workers, Psychologists, Play Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Educators
Educational Level: Intermediate
Although not specifically required as a pre-requisite, viewing the recordings of Introduction to the Theory & Practice of Sandplay (https://www.maudeleroux.com/Sandplay) is recommended.
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Instructional Methods: PowerPoint, Discussion
Contact Hours: 6